Description du poste
- Fonction : Outbreak Investigation Task Force Coordinator
- Temps plein
- Type de contrat : CDD 3 ans
- Date de prise de fonction : dès que possible
- Lieu d’exercice : The successful candidate will be based in Paris at the Institut Pasteur Center for Global Health, with the possibility of assignments at one or more of the institutes of the Institut Pasteur International Network, and frequent duty travel, as determined by the context of outbreaks of infectious diseases.
Description de la structure
Emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases pose a major threat to public health as has been exemplified recently by SARS, the H1N1pdm09 influenza, Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome, Ebola, Zika and Yellow Fever. Rapid urbanisation, increased mobility and global economic interdependence exacerbate this threat and add to the challenge of containment. To control and minimise the impact of an infectious disease outbreak, any emerging or re-emerging threat needs to be quickly detected, monitored and characterised and the factors that affect the risk of infection need to be determined. This requires an integrated and comprehensive multidisciplinary response, which draws on expertise from a diverse range of fields, including human and veterinary epidemiology, clinical care, microbiology, entomology, anthropology, and mathematical modelling. These outbreak control measures require thorough preparedness, training, capacity building and laboratory strengthening in order to successfully control, monitor and manage infectious disease threats.
Center for Global Health
The Institut Pasteur is a center of excellence in the study of infectious diseases and public health based in Paris, France with 33 institutes worldwide. It is at the frontline of investigating infectious disease outbreaks, including avian influenza, MERS-CoV, Ebola, Zika, Yellow Fever and many other emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases. The Institut Pasteur Center for Global Health (CGH) aims to gather scientists and students in an ambitious international center dedicated to leading innovative research projects, responding to outbreaks of infectious diseases and improving the health of populations worldwide. The CGH responds to the increasing need for synergy and multidisciplinary collaborations between scientists from Institut Pasteur Paris, the Institut Pasteur International Network and external partners. The CGH also aims to develop training programs ideally suited to the next generation of researchers and health workers particularly in outbreak investigation and field epidemiology. To further strengthen the outbreak investigation activities of the Institut Pasteur, the CGH is currently recruiting a Coordinator for the Outbreak Investigation Task Force.
The successful candidate will coordinate the Outbreak Investigation Task Force, overseen by the Director of the Center for Global Health, Professor Arnaud Fontanet. The candidate’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating the activities of the Outbreak Investigation Task Force, including the international deployment of the Outbreak Investigation Task Force members to respond to outbreaks of infectious diseases.
- Managing the staff of the Outbreak Investigation Task Force, including the short-term activities of epidemiology interns and public health residents.
- Monitoring infectious disease surveillance trends and offering the support of the Outbreak Investigation Task Force to national governments, partner institutions and/or international organisations in the event of an outbreak of an infectious disease
- Strengthening the relationship between microbiology, virology and epidemiology teams involved in outbreak response at the Institut Pasteur Paris and across the 33 institutes of the Institut Pasteur International Network.
- Enhancing the relationship between the Outbreak Investigation Task Force and national health authorities, with international organisations (including World Health Organization Health Emergencies Programme), and with partner Rapid Response institutions.
- Conducting epidemiologic studies of infectious disease and analysing research data.
- Preparing technical documents for government Ministries, public health professionals and the scientific community including reports, presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Developing research protocols, protocol templates, questionnaires, and standard operating procedures for epidemiologic investigations and for outbreak investigations of emerging and re-emerging pathogens.
- Assisting the development and delivery of advanced courses of field epidemiology and rapid response of infectious diseases, including the supervision of trainee field epidemiologists.
PhD in infectious disease epidemiology and/or public health, or MPH if combined with an MD.
- Substantial experience in field epidemiology, including leading outbreak investigations in resource-limited countries
- Substantial experience collaborating with national health authorities and/or international organisations including the World Health Organization
Compétence Spécifiques :
- Mid to advanced knowledge of biostatistics, databases and statistical analysis.
- Ability to work to a high standard, often under pressure or in difficult places.
- Ability to take initiative and to make decisions.
- Capacity to think clearly and analytically and to explain complex and unfamiliar matters to others.
- Ability to travel at short notice.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team and in a multicultural environment
Language: English, and good understanding of French Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
Qualités Professionnelles :
Interested candidates are invited to send a CV and cover letter in English before 1 May 2017 to:
Professor Arnaud Fontanet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca Grant: email@example.com
Please use the reference ‘OITF Coordinator + Name, Surname’ in your email.
For additional information on the Institut Pasteur Center for Global Health, please visit: https://research.pasteur.fr/en/center/cgh/