Description du poste
- Fonction : Consultant (Drug use epidemiology)
- Temps plein
- Type de contrat : CDD 4 mois
- Date de prise de fonction : 1er septembre 2017
- Lieu d’exercice : Vienne (Autriche)
Description de la structure
UNODC is a global leader in the fight against illicit drugs and international crime. Established in 1997 through a merger between the United Nations Drug Control Programme and the Centre for International Crime Prevention, UNODC operates in all regions of the world through an extensive network of field offices. UNODC relies on voluntary contributions, mainly from Governments, for 90 per cent of its budget.
UNODC is mandated to assist Member States in their struggle against illicit drugs, crime and terrorism. In the Millennium Declaration, Member States also resolved to intensify efforts to fight transnational crime in all its dimensions, to redouble the efforts to implement the commitment to counter the world drug problem and to take concerted action against international terrorism.
The three pillars of the UNODC work programme are:
- Field-based technical cooperation projects to enhance the capacity of Member States to counteract illicit drugs, crime and terrorism
- Research and analytical work to increase knowledge and understanding of drugs and crime issues and expand the evidence base for policy and operational decisions
- Normative work to assist States in the ratification and implementation of the relevant international treaties, the development of domestic legislation on drugs, crime and terrorism, and the provision of secretariat and substantive services to the treaty-based and governing bodies
In pursuing its objectives, UNODC makes every effort to integrate and mainstream the gender perspective, particularly in its projects for the provision of alternative livelihoods, as well as those against human trafficking.
Based in the UNODC HQ in Vienna and integrated within the DPA/RAB/DRS, under the overall supervision of the Drugs Research Section and reporting to the Epidemiologist within the Section, the consultant being based in Vienna, will undertake analysis of the data from the household survey, the problem drug use assessment and key informants interviews, and based on the this analysis draft a report on the extent of drug use in Nigeria.
The consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
As part of the assignment the consultant will analyse the data from a) household survey; b) interviews with problem drug users; c) key informant interviews; with the aim that it provides as minimum information on the extent and patterns of drug use in country and by states within Nigeria, and the social and demographic characteristics of the drug users (education, gender, age, employment, etc.).
Therefore, it will be expected that the consultant will:
- Conduct descriptive statistics of the key variables of interest
- Look at correlation between the different variables of interest, e.g., drug use by region, gender, age, etc.
- Prepares final tables, charts and graphs of the analysed data
- Estimate the prevalence of drug use by type of substance, gender and states as well as for the country
- Prepare drafts of report on extent of drug use in Nigeria
- Perform other tasks as required.
Academic Qualifications: Advanced university degree in public health, epidemiology or sociology or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the design and related data analysis of quantitative surveys with a track record of scientific publications on the subject or contribution to published national reports on drug use situation;
- Desired experience in producing analytical publications according to UN standards;
- Required relevant work experience with developing countries;
- Good record of analytical work preferably in drug use epidemiology in quantitative methods, including in indirect methods for estimating prevalence of drug use,
- Experience in managing large datasets through statistical software;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated analytical, research, writing and communication skills.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United UN Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English with proven drafting and communication skills is required
Modalités de candidature
Sur le site indiqué avant le 30 juillet 2017.
United Nations Careers